Building a Prayer Team
Written by Matthew Zoller, International Training Specialist Advisor
I confess: not everything goes well on every trip, and as a result I may get tired or emotionally drained. Besides the printing, translation, and participant engagement challenges, spiritual attacks are real and evident during every training event.
Do not underestimate the power of a personal prayer team.
It is precisely these situations when we must depend on the intentional intercession of the closest and most intimate team.
It is great to have hundreds of people covering you in prayer but there is also the even deeper need of having a smaller, more intimate group of intercessors that you can trust with the more sensitive requests. This is a prayer team with whom you can be completely transparent, knowing you will not be judged. When you enter into a time of cultural crisis you will have the confidence that your intercessors can pray specifically and effectively.
“Finally, brothers, pray for us that the message of the Lord may spread rapidly and be honored, just as it was with you.
— 2 Thessalonians 3:12
Please actively build your personal prayer team.
- Make a list of potential team members who:
- you admire for their prayer life.
- know you well and love you deeply.
- understand the reality of spiritual warfare.
- are trustworthy with confidential information.
- demonstrate humility.
- Ask the guidance of the Holy Spirit for clarity to narrow your list to 5-7 individuals
- Reach out to the intercessors personally. Talk to them about your vision, what God has called you to, and what your role is with LIFE International. Explain to them that they are part of a very select group of intercessors and could be receiving very personal, confidential prayer requests.
- If possible, gather them together before and after your trip for a time of community prayer.
- Communicate with them often: before, during, and after the trip.
Our desire is that you will be the most effective in what God has called you to do for His Kingdom. The ministry of prayer is key for the Gospel message of abundant life to be proclaimed.